[plug] Forcing a kernel module to unload.

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at exadios.com
Tue Jul 18 19:42:19 WST 2006

Hi;

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Ashley Jennings wrote:

> Hi Bill and Peter,
>

> You may be running different distributions to eachother.

I see what the problem is. I am running Sarge. But I'm using a 2.4
kernel and modutils is, rightly, a dependency of the kernel and not the
distribution. I'm reluctant to update my kernel since the others in our
group are running the same kernel and we have learnt that it avoids
unnecessary complications if we all have the same development setup.

So, I guess the question is does anybody know how to force a removal of
modules from a 2.4 kernel?

> Here is the -f flag explained in the rmmod manpage on Debian GNU/Linux (Sarge):
>

>    -f --force
>                  This  option  can  be  extremely  dangerous: it has no effect
>                  unless CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD was set when the kernel was
>                  compiled.  With this option, you can remove modules which are
>                  being used, or which are not designed to be removed, or  have
>                  been marked as unsafe (see lsmod(8)).
>

> all the best
>
> Ashley
>

> On 18/07/06, Peter F Bradshaw <pfb at exadios.com> wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> >
> > > man rmmod
> >
> > Which does not mention forcing modules to unload. Neither does it
> > document a '-f' flag. So I'm unsure what you are saying.
> >

> > > BillK

> > Cheers

Cheers

--