[plug] Fedora Core 5 - Install

hatari hatari at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 23 12:31:48 WST 2006

Arie Hol wrote:
> I have just spent the last 5 hours trying to do a default install of
> Fedora Core 5 - and at this point I am ready to say goodbye to Fedora and
> Linux altogether.

=I still dabble, but the pain can be excruciating at times.

> I have never had so much trouble trying to get Linux installed and
> running - even going back to the old versions of Slackware installed from
> floppy disks.

=I agree.  In the last several versions of several distros there are
lots of "flakey" things going on.

> 7 attempts to install each one taking a different approach and all with
> the same results.

=Arie, I tried 2 attempts myself - from 2 different disks.  I stopped
there.  They failed to install grub on /boot for multi-OS.  (ie no boot-up)

So I tried Mepis (for a reason which I wont go into).  After prompting I
turned OFF certain Services for security reasons.  After loading I found
that not one had been adjusted.  So you can't trust a system for
security after that, can you?

> Errors ! Errors ! Errors ! and more Errors !

Yep.

Not much help for your problem, but just letting you know others out
here are still finding (too much?) pain in Linux - as it begins to
fracture into a thousand distros.

Regards,
wayne