[plug] Fedora Core 5 - Install

hatari hatari at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 24 21:07:27 WST 2006

Shayne O'Neill wrote:
>>Diversity gives choice - but too much diversity causes factionalisation
>
> away from the central cause - ie Instead >of the fight being between
> Linux vs Microsoft - it seems to increase the tendency for distro wars -
> then you add >in the differences with the Solaris systems and the BSD
> systems as well.
>
> I still reckon there are only three types of linux these days
>
> Red hat (and its children , ie mandrake/SuSe/etc)
> Debian (and its children, ubuntu, Xandros, etc)
> And
> Gentoo (and its children, if it has any)
>
> I just stick to debian stuff and my knowledge transfers nicely. Debian
> for the server, Ubuntu for the desktop, and Xandros for my grandmother.

Should we include BSD (and it's children, ie FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc.) or
is doing THAAT not a "Lin" thing?

OK, could it/they be illegitimate chldren then?

P.S. Kev's almost talked me into Xandros.  However I might wait till my
newly-installed Debian breaks. (Damn; if only I can find that Services
panel!)

wayne