[plug] how do I restore desktop settings

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Jun 1 17:00:00 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 12:14 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> <sheepish> Newbie question-of-the-day:
>
> I'm using FC4 with GDM (pretty sure) for graphical login and I have lost
> all my desktop tweaks for all KDE, Gnome, IceWM and Xfce by accidentally
> choosing 'reset desktop' at the session login screen.  Groan.  How do I
> restore my customised settings?

Replying to my own post with a solution:
Seems that once I forced GDM to restart, and recreated my mail account
settings in evolution, that and the other apps returned to normal with
past work, extensions, inbox, etc intact.  As for the desktops, Xfce
seemed back to normal (though I had to manually restart the panel)
whereas only kde and gnome remained a bit off and I had to dialin my
desktop preferences again.

> A supplementary question to the above is where do I look to edit the
> login session menu that GDM offers?
>
> In my GDM menu I have always seen repeats of session options (eg., more
> than one option of choosing IceWM) and I want to remove that dreaded
> 'reset desktop' option altogether.  Begone, I say!  ;-)

A received a reply from the maintainer or K12LTSP to solve the
supplementary part of my question:

(quote)
The location of the Session configuration files has changed over time.
You'll find them in one of these directories:

        /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/
        /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/
        /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/
        /usr/share/xsessions/

Each session type is contained in its own file. Depending on the version
of K12LTSP, you'll have one or more of the following files. Deleting
them all will make the "Reset your desktop" session disappear:

        /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/Reset.desktop
        /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Reset your desktop
        /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.reset_desktop
        /usr/share/xsessions/reset.desktop

Regards, Gavin