[plug] Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:01:05 WST 2006

I think I may have said this before, I'm not sure.  But in my experience at
least, the installation for Kubuntu has been nowhere near as good (5.04,
5.10 and 6.06) as Ubuntu, and after installing it each time I've stuck the
same version Ubuntu disc back in the drive and installed it over the top.

The most recent case of this was a few weeks ago when the first 6.06 beta
came out, I grabbed Kubuntu, installed it and was less than happy with a few
things, it didn't properly detect my sound card nor would it let me install
NDISWrapper to complement my shitty Wireless PCMCIA card (WG511 v2
(Thailand), doesn't work with prism54 driver).  Of course a kernel recompile
fixed these issues, no problems, but KDE in general didn't work quite as
seamlessly as Gnome (I've always been a KDE User, but use Gnome on my laptop
now).

This could be a reflection of my hardware (or me!), but I've put it down to
Ubuntu still being the better version of the 2 distro's.  It does however
surprise me that Kubuntu should be any worse than Ubuntu for kernel issues
and the detection of hardware (as I'd assume they'd use exactly the same
kernel image).

For my laptop, it comes down to ease of installation, and perfect seamless
ease of use.  I'm more than happy to leave my Desktop compiling Gentoo
packages for a week to get it running nicely, and even then, all the
tweaking/compiling/configuring I'll do to it, it'll never be perfect.  But
my laptop is different, I want to stick the disk in, install the OS and have
everything working, the OSX or Windows XP (god forbid) way.

Shannon

P.S Geez, that was an epic :P