[plug] Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

Ranime ranime at westnet.com.au
Wed Jun 7 16:49:33 WST 2006

Hi, This is a bit long winded maybe but here goes...

I think that any one persons experience with a distro will relate to
what they want to use the computer for and or more importantly the type
of hardware they have ie: motherboard chipset and peripherals etc...
I have only had experience with kde and prefer it to gnome because kde
is what i started with and got used to.
when i tried gnome i felt that i did not have as much control over the
system configuration, or maybe just didn't want to spend more hours
working out how to.... something that had worked perfectly OK for me in
under a kde GUI.
Command line is good if you have found out ...how to!
Way back then I started with redhat 6 and moved to mandrake 8,9,10,etc..
and now Mandriva2006.
I like Mandriva2006 !
I have used live versions of knoppix OK..... kde again.
I tried Ubuntu 606 and Kubuntu 606. (live) CD.
I found ubuntu OK but kubuntu easier to grip/use/ etc.. because of kde
again.
I also found knoppix a more comfortable experience than kubuntu.
All of these experiences were different on each of the seven computers
that i have used them on.

Mandriva 2006 for me as my main computer as well as the 2 that are used
for internet only (web and email).
P4 2.8Ghz 1Gb etc.... net comps are AMD Duron 750Mhz 512Mb and AMD
Athlon 1800xp 1.5Ghz 1Gb.
Other computers used are P3 500 to 600 basic old etc....
Chipsets Intel, via, etc etc...
Each distro may give a different experience with different hardware.
Also, I'm not into any games, office work, video and music yes.

And, I have found knoppix a better option for me as a repair tool on
other machines. Overall found more hardware with knoppix than ubuntu.
Laptops... same story, hardware vs distro, distro vs hardware.

I still class myself as a newbie as there is always something to workout
how to use that i have not been able to use so far.
My satellite dvb card for one.... that is one of the very few things
that still NEED to be sorted.
All this can take up your TIME if there is other tasks that should be
attended to.  After all 'we only want it to work' don't we ?
what works for one person maybe wont work for another...
or something like that.
Anyway that's my 99 cents worth. CH.

--

Regards.