[plug] File browser

Russell Steicke russellsteicke at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 20:57:07 WST 2006

On 6/9/06, Craig Dyke <grail at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I was curious to ask what file / system browser people are using?

Bash.  Seriously.  I haven't found a file manager with which I can navigate
with anything like the ease and speed I can with a decent shell.
Requirements for a "decent shell" include tab completion at a minimum,
preferably programmable tab completion.  Zsh fans can chime in here now.  :)

I recently installed Nautilus but I use Fluxbox and found that launching
> Nautilus caused
> gnome to sit on top of Fluxbox.

This is probably nautilus managing your root window ("desktop").  You can
change this by running gconf-editor, and setting
/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop to false (uncheck the box.)  ISTR
there being an equivalent option in Nautilus' preferences dialog box, but
either I was mistaken or it was removed.