[plug] distro differences - SuSE scores others fail

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Jun 13 01:33:30 WST 2006

I've been converting my son across to Linux, and convinced him to dual
boot his XP machine.  BTW: This post is related to a previous thread
involving 'Chris' and his/her trials with Linux.

My son and I tried installing Mandriva 2006 first.  No joy.  Then tried
FC4.  No joy.  I really wanted him to use FC4 because I was also selling
him on the joys of K12LTSP, which is built on Fedora.  I did some
research online and asked help on this list, and went away with several
tricks to try to get Fedora on his PC.  Well, I tried every damn one of
those tricks and not a single one worked in this case.  The sticking
point has always been his SATA drive.  Simply not recognised properly by
Fedora or Mandriva.

In desperation tried SuSE 10.1.  Not a problem, thank you very much.
Both SATA drive and extra PATA drive recognised, XP partition shrunk and
install completed without a _single_ hitch.  Just shows that you've got
to be prepared to pick and choose your distro according to hardware
compatibility, doesn't it? ;-)

Gavin.