[plug] wireless networking

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 14 07:18:12 WST 2006

Hi Craig, have you checked http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/ ?

One thing I have found is that many wireless drivers are version
sensitive - that is only some combinations of wpa_supplicant/wireless
tools/ndiswrapper/drivers work together.  The binary distros work this
out, but gentoo and I presume sourcemage usually leave this to the user
(recent madwifi anyone!).  The ipw3945 project lists one version with
the symptoms you mention.

Therefore keep in mind that you cant assume its your configuration thats
at fault - its often the version of one part of the software chain.  See
if the sourceforge mailing list can help with a set of working versions?

I am using the ipw2200 card, and found that I couldnt get the kernel
stuff to work with wpa_supplicant (though it would work plain).  The
project version works faultlessly, all be it with a messy patch process.

BillK