[plug] wanted: 56k modem

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 14 09:21:45 WST 2006

Jason Posavec <jasonposavec at optusnet.com.au> writes:
>Jonathan Young wrote:

>> And since we've moved on to 'the case against internal modems', add to
>> that lightning strikes.

>> I have seen first hand the evidence of damage done when a lightning
>> strike causes a surge to come down the phone line.

>Has anyone tried using the old trick of tying 3 small loops in the phone
>cable and has seen if that works against lightning strikes?

Slows down the data transmission too much; all that friction on the
side walls of the wire as it's forced to turn the corner. :-)

>Or is that one for Mythbusters?

20 million volts... they've done that before. Albeit at lower
voltages.

Top Gear tested a VW Golf in a lightning simulator at Siemens in
Germany... bloody huge sparks! The radio display and instrument
panels looked a bit confused; but the engine started and everything
reset properly. [I noticed from the idle that it sounded like a
diesel.]
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.