[plug] wanted: 56k modem

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Wed Jun 14 11:44:52 WST 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Kai wrote:

> Yah but afaik they sacrifice performance and reliability because the
> modem relies on the computer (software) to do all the work, where an

Is that still a problem? PCs are so much faster now, that a significant
load 5 years ago would be trivial now. And is Linux multi-taking not good
enough to run a soft modem?

> That and have you ever put an RF probe inside a computer case ? stray RF

Given that modems run with 8kHz sampling, I don't think RF is a major
worry :-)

BUT, I'll second Jonathan's remark on lightning. I lost a brand new
whiz-bang graphics card, HDD and CD-drive to lightning and an internal
harware modem. Motherboard was fine.