[plug] wanted: 56k modem

Kai Jones Kaij at kamsc.org.au
Wed Jun 14 12:29:19 WST 2006

Apologies for replying to my own post, but even though modems have 8kHz
sampling they're also not good at handling even relatively strong line
noise.

Classic example is if you live anywhere near the 720kHz 6WF ABC
transmitter at Hamersley, if my information is correct it pumps out
20kW, anyone within cooee of that transmitter either needs to use a
Woomera or other modem with eight line transformers inside it to help
smooth any effects of eletrical change, mostly impedence, that may come
down the line with changes in weather and other variables, and cause
disconnection.

I used to live in Balga, the signal from that transmitter was so strong
I could hear on the phone when I went to make a call, dial-up
connections were hopeless without at least two filters.

When I was working for WestNet a few years ago, I called one guy in
Hamersley who lived about as close as you can get to that transmitter,
he had two choices - slow his modem down to like 14,400 and have a more
stable connection, or leave it connecting at 56 and drop every other
minute.

End of the day, modems don't like line noise, as long as there's a
signal on your line which is louder/stronger than the signal between
your modem and the one at the other end, it'll drop.