[plug] wanted: 56k modem

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Wed Jun 14 14:21:48 WST 2006

On 14/06/2006 at 1:06 PM Patrick Coleman wrote:

>On 6/14/06, Jason Posavec <jasonposavec at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> That does explain why my tv manual had me wrap the speaker wires around
>> metal plugs!
>>
>> Will of course now be conducting experiments to see if looping my phone
>> cable has any affect on my connection speeds :D
>>
>> Jason
>
>Crazy. My ADSL drops out around once every 30 seconds from 10:30pm
>every single night, so I might see if putting a ferrite bead on the
>line helps (I guess I could also just bite the bullet and buy a new
>modem that doesn't suck :)

You will find that the problem is related to line noise. The cheaper modems
have less tolerance for line noise and suffer in other ways. Most
installations
are not aware of the degradation. The higher priced units will fair better
under
adverse conditions.

I don't see adding a ferrite core on a line will do anything unless you are
troubled with RFI.

Mark