[plug] Mobile phone scam - Beware

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 07:14:35 WST 2006

On 6/14/06, Arie Hol <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2006 at 22:29, Michael Holland wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Arie Hol wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry about posting to the main list but this message should go to as
> > > many people as possible :
> >
> > Oh no! How many times have I seen some well-intentioned idiocy start
> with
> > those words. I have a mailbox full of "please forward this" scam
> warnings,
>
> Well I am so sorry,
>
> If I have been misled, please forgive me for being concerned enough about
> this situation to want to do something about it.
>
> I believe my source is legitimate, so up yours.

You never quoted your source, or gave proof of this really happening
(the 'land line' numbers charging the high rates, not the 1900 numbers
you are asked to call).

> I thought that the people on this list might be the best people to get
> some info from - but I guess I was wrong - get f****ing ripped off see if
> I care.

Read the following. I'm sure lots of people (especially on this list)
wouldn't call a 1900 number to "claim a prize".

> Should you return the missed call, you get a recorded invitation to call
> their 1900 number to "claim your prize".

Also, you weren't asking for information from the list, if you had
posted it, asking if people had more information, then that would have
been different.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but some of us get enough of this junk in
our Inbox's and SPAM folders, and don't really want to see more of it
in our list boxes. Sure, if it had happened to you, and you had a
large bill (not just a STD bill) after calling one of these numbers,
come post it to the list as a warning, but please, not a forward.

Tim

--
Linux Counter user #273956