[plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

Kai Jones Kaij at kamsc.org.au
Thu Jun 15 12:41:17 WST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Daniel Pearson
Sent: Thursday, 15 June 2006 12:36 PM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

><snip>
>> I don't think a 100% move to OSS here would be practical, too many
>> things implemented by people who know MS and nothing else, but a few
>> months ago I began the crusade to get everyone to switch to Firefox
and
>> of course a lot of people are like "I want my Microsoft Explorer" and
>> they'll require some work but we'll see.
>>

>And this is where the problem lies also, more so in the Government
>sector. A lot of company intranets are build to work on IE, and not
much
>else. I do have experience with companies, where we've needed to make
>them compatible for IE/Safari/Firefox/etc. however they are few are far

>between, and until the companies decide they want to not use IE, I fear

>it is a long way away.

Hehe, in our case it has nothing to do with intranet compatibility, just
users not wanting me to "take away their Microsoft" because it's all
they know, and they're not open minded enough to try "this Firefox
thing" even though I tell them in lay-terms all the reasons they should
be using it instead of IE, a few of which include me spending time
removing crap that IE's let through which Firefox would've blocked.