[plug] lightning, Re: modem

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Thu Jun 15 16:57:21 WST 2006

> Possibly because the VCR has an external (usually roof-mounted) antenna
> attached?   Depending on where the damage is though - VCR power supply,
> tuner, RF output module, ...
>
> Might be interesting to muse on the likelihood of modem damage these
> days in suburbs with underground power.   To my way of thinking if the
> power source is underground and the signal route (Telstra lines) also
> underground there should be less chance of strike damage.   Unless of
> course the strike was quite local, then I think the rules break.
>
> I had a monitored alarm succumb to lightning several years ago - my
> suburb has above-ground power still - and the fault was the
> surge-protecting varistor took it in the neck, earthing one side of the
> Telstra pair which also disabled our landline 'phone.

We lost a clock radio/telephone (bedside unit and the reticulation controller (twice) to
lightning. I seem to recall a modem going in one of the strikes as well.

Interestingly, the retic controller was on the same circuit as my office, which has 5
computers and they survived.

We have underground power and a tv aerial high on a two storey house, highest point
around, and we didn't loose the vcr.

Also, when we built, I specifically asked Telstra about lightening protection and was told
that there were insufficient strikes in the Perth area to warrant the expense.

Alex