[plug] lightning, Re: modem

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Thu Jun 15 17:27:36 WST 2006

Sorry Denis, when I wrote this bit:

>>> It was not plugged in to anything except a powerboard with basic surge
>>> protection and devices either side, sure enough the board, the
>>> DVD/TV/AMP are all undamaged, but the VCR takes a hit? How come?

I meant to say that it was only plugged into the powerboard, i.e. it did
not have an antenna lead attached to it, only RCA leads back to the
AMP...

Obviously VCRs are not always on the list of toasted devices as I have
now heard from other replies about a variety of combinations of damage.
However, it certainly does seem to be that if your home entertainment
system takes a surge/strike and you want to guess what died, the VCR
would be fairly short odds!

Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com