[plug] installing linux cont.

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Jun 16 10:25:56 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: myk at myk.id.au
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] installing linux cont.
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:15:54 +0800 (WST)

>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>> For doing full image backups of windows machines, defrag and winhex
>make
>> a great combination. Winhex allows you to zero all free space,
>slack
>> space and best of all, unused space in the MFT (which can be quite
>> significant) allowing gzip to really crunch the drive image down
>nicely.
>> She has a 60G drive that had about 18G used.. and the total drive
>image
>> size came to 7.9G.
>
>Thanks for that. I downloaded, installed and ran winhex, and found
>the
>feature, only to find it was a cripple-ware version. I just wish
>they'd tell
>you up-front that its a demo version.
>  So now i'm installing cygwin, so I can
>$ cat /dev/zero > big-file-to-fill-disk
>
>Will this be good enough for a clean XP install? I want to save an
>image
>once all the win-update patches are applied, and firefox et al
>installed.
>

>BTW, you didn't need to use gparted before Ubuntu. It has its own
>NTFS-resizer built in to the installer. Or don't you trust that?

I don't - I tried installing Dapper on my lappy last night, and it
was shambolic - eventually the installer crashed, after I tried to
make it step back to where it had screwed up the partitioning.

Firstly, it insisted that those 2 partitions I'd told it to format as
Reiser were going to be formatted as ext3. then it created 2 EXTRA
partitions of size 0KB, then it wanted to mount tow different
partitions as /  - just as well it crashed round about then - I was
about to kick its feet out from under it. Not ready for prime time.

I eventually fixed my partition table with good old SUSE.

>cheers, Mike.

Not a request to start a flame war, but a genuine case of "this needs
more work".

Cheers
RichardM