[plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Sun Jun 18 01:11:14 WST 2006

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 16/06/2006 at 9:33 AM Russell Steicke wrote:
On 6/16/06, Mark J Gaynor <mark at mjg.id.au> wrote:

>> I wanted to import some CSV text data into a spreadsheet with OOo,
>> a simple task you may think. Well,I could not find anything that
>> would allow me to do this simple task.
>
>File->Open, choose Text CSV (*.csv;*.txt) from the File type dropdown
>box. Did that not work?

That is fine for opening a spreadsheet, I wanted to import the data into
an existing document. MERGE may be a better term.

Open spreadsheet.
Open csv file.
Select area in csv.
Copy and paste into spreadsheet.

Does that work for you?  Or have you made up your mind that this can't be
done?

It does, but that is not the point. It is a lot of unnecessary messing
round when another program can do the same job more efficiently.

My argument is why should I have to open another spreadsheet just to add
some basic data to what I already have. OOo is not that flexible is it. It
is called usability. As good as the app may be it fails on that point. You
are saying that to import basic data I have to make the process more
complex than it needs to be. The concept of any app is to make the process
as simple as possible for the operator, unless I have missed something.
Adding more layers to perform any task fails that concept. Therefore OOo
fails me in that task. The other program has more usability and that is the
basis of the argument.

Open source developers fail to see things from the user point of view and
only see it from a programming perspective.

Why does OOo not import basic CSV data?

Mark