[plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Sun Jun 18 09:03:24 WST 2006

> It does, but that is not the point. It is a lot of unnecessary messing
> round when another program can do the same job more efficiently.
>
> My argument is why should I have to open another spreadsheet just to add
> some basic data to what I already have. OOo is not that flexible is it.
> It is called usability. As good as the app may be it fails on that
> point. You are saying that to import basic data I have to make the
> process more complex than it needs to be. The concept of any app is to
> make the process as simple as possible for the operator, unless I have
> missed something. Adding more layers to perform any task fails that
> concept. Therefore OOo fails me in that task. The other program has more
> usability and that is the basis of the argument.
>
> Open source developers fail to see things from the user point of view
> and only see it from a programming perspective.
>
> Why does OOo not import basic CSV data?

I agree 100% with Mark. We have been using Lotus 123 since the mid 80's and started to
move to OO several years ago. OO has a long way to go the catch up to 123 for ease of use
and yes we use 123 to import csv data and manipulate it before saving as an OO spreadsheet.

He is also right about productivity. If you use computers to make money then you want the
fastest way of doing things. If a product can't do what you want efficiently, then you
must find something that can.

Forget about ideology and pure unadulterated computing, time is money and that is the nub
of the matter.

Alex