[plug] Samba desktop.ini

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 13:49:42 WST 2006

On 6/17/06, Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) <daniel at flashware.net> wrote:
>  I've successfully setup a PDC/Samba 3 server and can logon with machines.
> One thing I find though, is for each new user that logs on it creates a
> desktop.ini file in various folders, one of those being the startup folder.
> Now, I can delete it and that's all good and well, but as soon as a new user
> logs in, that will change.
>
>  I've tried to add under the [profiles] section:
>  hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/
>
>  But even after doing that, and restarting the server it still does it.

Why are you trying to prevent the creation of this file? This file
tells windows that this is a special folder, and what it's function
is.

For example

/home/tim/profile/Application Data/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Quick
Launch/desktop.ini
/home/tim/profile/Application Data/desktop.ini
/home/tim/profile/My Documents/desktop.ini
/home/tim/profile/SendTo/desktop.ini
/home/tim/profile/Start Menu/Programs/desktop.ini
/home/tim/profile/Start Menu/Programs/Accessories/desktop.ini
/home/tim/profile/Start Menu/Programs/Startup/desktop.ini
/home/tim/profile/Start Menu/desktop.ini
/home/tim/Documents/desktop.ini

I assume you are trying to hide the files to windows users, so they
don't appear?

I have 'hide files = /desktop.ini/' in my samba config file (also
running a smb PDC), and as long as the user hasn't set windows to show
hidden files, the files do not appear to users, when they do normal
browsing. They file's still exist, and will appear when you look at
the folders with a Linux machine (why you would do that, i don't know,
cause 99% of the desktop.ini files are in the users profile, which the
user shouldn't be poking into much.

Otherwise, I can't understand why you are trying to prevent these
files from being created. It's a bit like telling linux it can't have
it's ~/.rc files. desktop.ini is a windows file.

Oh, and your point about it making a desktop.ini in the Startup
folder? I assume you say this, because you can see it, rather than it
being hidden? You will notice, that it only makes it in the Users
Startup folder.

If I misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish, sorry. If you
still can't get it to hide the files, let us know.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956