[plug] Samba desktop.ini

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 10:46:11 WST 2006

>  I've successfully setup a PDC/Samba 3 server and can logon with machines.
> One thing I find though, is for each new user that logs on it creates a
> desktop.ini file in various folders, one of those being the startup folder.
> Now, I can delete it and that's all good and well, but as soon as a new user
> logs in, that will change.
>
>  I've tried to add under the [profiles] section:
>  hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/
>
>  But even after doing that, and restarting the server it still does it.

Try the "veto files" option. Generally this is put in an individual
share section of the configuration file. It lists files the same way
as hide files does. Veto files doesn't list or allow access to the
files - it is as if those files don't exist on the client side.

For more information, see the man page - smb.conf(5).

Have fun!

Daniel Foote.