[plug] For those who DEMAND Windows apps

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Jun 20 10:37:18 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: myk.list at westnet.com.au
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] For those who DEMAND Windows apps
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:31:07 +0800

>meyerri wrote:
>> Just saw this and thought "if it's for OS/x, why not Linux, too=3F"
>> Ooops, and the website (http://www=2Ealkyproject=2Ecom/)
>
>The name is a play on "wine", and it seems to be trying to do the
>same
>thing, reimplement the win32 API.
>
>from the faq:
>"Wine also aims to have source-level compatibility, whereas we only
>care
>about binary-level compatibility."
>- I'd like to see an illustration of how that helps. Isn't it trivial
>add a source-code compatibilty layer, if you have the binary level?
>
>http://alkyproject.com/wiki/index.php/Faq

To me the difference is like that between an interpreted language and
a compiled one - under Wine, you run until you find something that
Wine can't handle, and then you throw your legs in the air and writhe
like a roach that's been sprayed. And every time you run the app, you
go through translation. With alky, you do the translation up front -
once only - and then you croak with more meaningless messages ;-)

Cheers
RM