[plug] USB drive not seen by Debian Sarge

Innis Cunningham innisc at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 21 20:14:36 WST 2006

Hi All

Have spent all day trying to get debian sarge to see my usb drive to no
avail.
"lsusb" shows when the drive is inserted but "dmesg | grep "SCSI device"
shows no
output just dumps me back to the command promt.
Thing is due to removable drive bay I can run the same box on mandrake 10 K
2.4.25
mandriva 2006 k 2.6.something Knoppix  3.9 K 2.6.11 and on all of them soon
as the drive
is inserted it shows on the desktop ready to use.Doing a ""dmesg | grep
"SCSI device" on all these versions gives the device ie: sda and the size of
the drive.
This would seem to rule out
The usb drive as it works with other versions on the same box also works on
other linux boxes i have here.
The kernel versions as it works on everything from 2.4.25 to 2.6.11
Debian as a whole as it works on knoppix and damn small linux which are
debian derivites
This brings me back to sarge and the kernel version iam using and where i
loaded sarge from.
The install I used was off a linux format dvd and the kernel is 2.4.27 sarge
version 3.1.
So if anyone has any suggestions I would be most thankfull.

Cheers
Innis