[plug] USB drive not seen by Debian Sarge

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Wed Jun 21 23:08:19 WST 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Innis Cunningham wrote:

> Have spent all day trying to get debian sarge to see my usb drive to no
> avail.
> "lsusb" shows when the drive is inserted but "dmesg | grep "SCSI device"
> shows no
> output just dumps me back to the command promt.

Hi,
This may be too obvious, but did you try _looking_ at the dmesg output,
rather than just grepping it?
  What exactly is the problem?  I get the impression that you are wanting
to see a GUI file browser pop up on the screen. You make me feel like a
grumpy old fart for suggesting use of the command-line and "mount"
command.   e.g. "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/my_dir "
You'll need to look a bit further in the dmesg output, or
/var/log/messages, to see exactly which device to mount. Once it works
manually, you can worry about why it isn't auto-mounting.

cheers, Mike.