[plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 08:54:03 WST 2006

On 6/18/06, Mark J Gaynor <mark at mjg.id.au> wrote:

> >Not having used Photoshop, I come from the other side, having grown up
> >with Fireworks (for a small amount of time, when I was developing in
> >Flash), and Gimp.
> >I stil haven't gotten around to prioritising a tablet high enough, to
> >buy one. Today I was at the Photography Studio, enquiring about some
> >prints, and I didn't even hear what the guy said they cost. Instead, I
> >was watching his son, digitally restore an image. I think it was a
> >lithoprint of some  sort, as it was a 'plain' (aged) background, with
> >grey lines all over it creating some sort of image.
> >What got my attention, was firstly the totally lack of a UI, it was
> >just a single window with the image in it, I assume he knows his
> >keyboard short cuts. ;-) Secondly, was how quickly, and well he
> >worked. He 'roughly' selected areas to clone INTO, then he moved
> >around the image, and in real time, it cloned INTO the area he
> >selected (rather than how I work in Gimp, selecting areas to clone
> >from). When he found the bit that matched 'best', he could then, in
> >real time, rotate and tweak the cloning, to make it fit exactly! I was
> >shocked, not only was this cloning INTO an area a wonderful idea (and
> >I assume it's not permanently cloned in, until you accept that it's
> >ok), but how he could also rotate the bit he was cloning from.
> >
> >Now if someone can show me how to do that in the Gimp, then please do.
> >But if someone knows what application he was using, PLEASE let me
> >know. Cause what ever it was, it is IMHO, bloody well made!
>
> That sounds like a vector graphics application, you will find that Gimp
> cannot deal with that.

No, the application isn't a vector graphics application. I think your
confusing vector's with something. Vectors are represented by maths,
and while they can look stunning (cause they can scale to any size you
like without loss of quality), they are still just that, maths'
generating graphics. This application was working on photos, which is
Bitmap, which CAN be converted to vectors, but with a loss of 'photo
quality'. This was most certainly not a vector application, even
though some of the workflow is of vector like work.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956