[plug] Oxymoron: Microsoft, innovation

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jun 26 16:44:42 WST 2006

On 26 Jun 2006 at 8:54, Timothy White wrote:

8<------- snip -------->8
> No, the application isn't a vector graphics application. I think your
> confusing vector's with something. Vectors are represented by maths,
and
> while they can look stunning (cause they can scale to any size you like
> without loss of quality), they are still just that, maths' generating
> graphics. This application was working on photos, which is Bitmap,
which
> CAN be converted to vectors, but with a loss of 'photo quality'. This
was
> most certainly not a vector application, even though some of the
workflow is of vector like work.

I think you will find that Gimp is a raster based application.

Raster images just record a mapping of the pixel data - (i.e. a sequence
of colour codes for each pixel in the image).

The simpler the image as regards image detail and colour, the smaller the
image file.

This is why photographic images are much larger than other types of
images - and also the reason that data compression formats are used -
such as JPG.

If you want a good vector based application try Inkscape - Linux Format
magazine recently ran a series of tutorials on the use of Inkscape - very
fascinating how the app puts your images together.

Vector images use mathematical functions to describe the 'objects' that
make up the images.

HTH

Regards Arie