[plug] ip address and interface question (new)

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 09:17:32 WST 2006

On 6/24/06, Ian Kent <raven at themaw.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Craig Dyke wrote:
> >
> > My question is, if you are receiving your address from dhcp, is it possible to
> > get it so you can ping
> > the hostname:
>
> Only if you update you hosts file manually or you have a dynamic dns
> server somewhere and an application that knows how and when to send
> updates.

If you are using DHCP, and run a DNS server as well, then it is possible.
For example, when a machine on my network gets a DHCP address, it
sends it's hostname as well, and gets put in DNS. For example, when
'david' (a winbloz) box connects, it sends it's hostname with the DHCP
request, and the server tell's it that the domain is white.lan, and
updates the DNS server. So any machine can ask for david.white.lan (or
just david if it's a linux box with 'search white.lan' in the
resolv.conf file) and get the correct machine.

Of course, this does require a non winbloz box as the DHCP/DNS server.
I can post parts of my config's to help you if you want.

Tim
p.s. The DHCP server also tells the machine to use a particular DNS
server for lookup's, which returns results for white.lan, or proxy's
them to my ISP for everything else.
--
Linux Counter user #273956