[plug] Apache logs

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 11:11:12 WST 2006

On 3/1/06, Kirk Turner <gameldar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/1/06, Patrick Coleman <blinken at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone else seen anything similar, or have any idea what the
> > purpose might be (other than a really, really slow DDOS :)?
> My guess, although not common these days, is that it is a browser with
> the loading of images turned off.  Under firefox for example you can
> turn off the loading of images in Edit->Preferences->Content
>
> If you have javascript or css attachments that aren't being loaded,
> then it could also be a robot/spider that is indexing the
> site/harvesting for emails etc. The user agent can be faked (its just
> a header), so it can't really be determined by that.
>
> Seeing that option again makes me think of turning the loading of
> images off. Site loading would be much quicker... but I imagine most
> 'recent' sites would be hard to read without images these days.
>
> Kirk

Didn't think of that, it might be why. Only this is we do have CSS so
you would generally expect that to load, unless the browser is really
really basic (site in question is http://www.ld.net.au fyi). Spam bots
I didn't think of, but surely they would index the entire site? I
mean, we have a contact page with lots of juicy unscrambled addresses
:)

A homemade spider or wget with a different useragent fits, but there's
too many hits for that to work, isn't there?
-Patrick
--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au