[plug] wiring a house

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Mar 2 22:45:43 WST 2006

On 2 Mar 2006 at 22:10, Mike Holland wrote:

> simon wrote:
>
> >>The bad news is that its really hard to drop them through brick
walls.

> > Not when theyre double brick.
>
> It is with the modern eave-less buildings, in my experience. The
telstra
> guy and antenna guy had a hard time too. On second thoughts, the 70s
place
> probably isn't so bad.

My house is the eaves-less variety with a low pitched roof and very
limited crawl space in all the critical areas.

One thing that I found to be very handy during my recent wiring escapades
- was a 5 metre length of 12 mm pvc condute - I used this to push cable
through/across roof cavities which were too small for my body to
negotiate - a little pvc electrical tape came in handy too.

>From inside the room I pushed a white plastic tube into the hole drilled
in the wall  - the tube had a small magnet in the end - then I shone the
light from a table lamp towards the plastic tube and into the hole.

For the cavities in the walls - I used a 50 mm nail tied onto the end of
a length of orange coloured brickies cord - dangled it down the cavity
towards the light radiating from the plastic tube in the hole I had
drilled for the cable.

The nail acted as a weight and being steel it was magnetic - I guided the
nail towards light emiting from the tube and the magnet.

Nail finds magnet, magnet gets friendly with nail - we have contact.

>From inside room  - I withdraw plastic tube with magnet - nail follows
magnet (eventually ????) nail appears in room with cord still attached.

Attached cord to cable and pulled cable up through cavity - job done.

This may not be the most efficient or professional method, but it did
work and with a little fiddling and a lot of patience it got the job
done.

In all cases the orange cord was left in the holes/cavity until all
connections/sockets/plugs had been tested and proven to be good.

Regards Arie