[plug] wiring a house

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 08:34:13 WST 2006

> For the cavities in the walls - I used a 50 mm nail tied onto the end of
> a length of orange coloured brickies cord - dangled it down the cavity
> towards the light radiating from the plastic tube in the hole I had
> drilled for the cable.
>
> The nail acted as a weight and being steel it was magnetic - I guided the
> nail towards light emiting from the tube and the magnet.

This is the same way I did mine, and it worked very well - except I
used a nut and cotton shop twine. I had a helper, though - so I was on
the roof (lifting tiles) and my mate was grabbing the string with a
wire hook.

I got around the internal walls problem by installing all the points
on the outside walls of the house, which worked well in my house. The
only room where I had an issue was the center bedroom - only one wall
was an outer wall, and the window took up 90% of the width of that
wall. So that point is very close to the corner.

Myself and my mate installed all 18 points in my house in one day.
Once you get the hang of it, it's not too hard. Also, I'm told that
the cavities in my wall are "not full of extraneous mortar".

Oh: and a suggestion: don't install single points - all double points.
You will need them later! I ended up with 5x double points and 2x Quad
points (to the area where all my computers are). The only spot so far
that I wished I had installed more is actually the kitchen - both
points in there are in use.

Not to spoil the fun, but you might also like to browse the Australian
standards for this kind of wiring. Freely available as a PDF from
http://acif.org.au/documents_and_lists/standards/S009 . It won't help
with how to do the installation, but will tell you how to make it
safe.

Anyway, have fun!

Daniel.