[plug] wiring a house

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 3 07:11:46 WST 2006

Myth works fine over wireless (over about 36MB/s)

How about using more directional antennas, and being smart about
locating the AP to improve the signal?  My sons lappy gets 54mb/s second
anywhere in the house, my wifes (broadcom chipsset, antennas built into
screen) ditto.  My netgear W311T (atheros chipset, no antenna) under
linux ('long range' in the docs) gets a lousy 18MB/s some 20m and a
couple of walls from the AP.  Simply moving mouse or power cables makes
a big difference.

I have some 2-300 metres of cable in the ceiling - wish wireless had
been available at reasonable cost when I started cabling!

BillK