[plug] wiring a house

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Fri Mar 3 10:48:13 WST 2006

On 3/2/2006, "simon" <simon at chrome64.org> wrote:

>Ari Finander (outrider at operamail.com) wrote:
>>

>> motorised movement aids, as well as having a not so functional immune system, I don't
>
>You can have some of my immune system if you like - mine is *too* good :) It
>even chases things that arent there, destroying my bowel in the process.
>
>Take half of mine and we'd both be right :)
>
>I have no answers for you, except to say that I wired an office once myself
>and it was a complete bitch. I have a krone tool here somewhere, and half a
>reel of cat5 if you decide to DIY. I think I mightve even nabbed the
>connectors from the walls when I 'deinstalled'. Maybe we can have a busy bee
>at your place one saturday and get it done :) I guess the main thing would be
>to avoid drilling into power......
>
>The general gist of it is to drill a nice hole about 3 ft up the wall. Then
>you shove this bendy plastic thing up the cavity until someone (who is
>sweating profusely and covered in crap) in the roofspace can hook on a cable
>and several strings (worth having just in case you have to replace cable).
>Follow the colours, crunch the wires in well, screw the box to the wall and
>you're done.

Oh yes, and if any part of it is going to be used with or connected to
(directly or indirectly) telephone lines, you need to be licenced.

For this reason alone, I have mainly used Teletronics in Wangara and
found their work to be exceptional and affordable.

Compared to the effort, sweat and general work that goes into doing this
kind of thing DIY, I say stuff it, call in the professionals.

No doubt you CAN do it yourselves, but in the middle of summer, why not
sit outside and enjoy a cool drink and let someone else worry about
breaking tiles, damagaed walls and generally trying not to make a mess.
It IS their job.

Having been involved in DIY jobs like this and having also watched the
pros do it in 1/3 of the time, I doubt I'll do DIY again unless I
REALLY need to save money.

Having said that, time IS money, so what is your time worth on this
project?

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX