[plug] wiring a house

Milan Pospisil pospim at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 11:02:02 WST 2006

On 3/2/06, Ari Finander  wrote:
> Hi all,

> big snip<

My wife, however, is keen to give it a go. So I have two questions: 1)
who would you recommend to do this work and about how much would I be
looking at spending?and 2) if I go with my wife's DIY spirit and try
and do this ourselves, are there any good guides to doing this in the
double brick and tile sorts of homes built in Perth in the late 70's?

For the electrical work you will need a licenced electrician with a
contractors licence.
If the Office of Energy find out that there has been some unlicensed
work done on your premises they start asking nasty question and most
likely throw the book at that person who did the job.
Similarly, for the phone outlets you will need someone with an Austel
licence. A licenced electrician would usually have that ticket.
When it comes to networking between your own machines you can do what
you want. AFAIK, nobody have stretched his hand for any protection
money in that general direction as yet.
Unless it has been build from mud bricks there will be almost
certainly a cavity in the external walls of your house.The easiest way
to run a cable is to drill a hole in the wall and push through a
"snake" (sometimes also called an electricians tape) towards the
attic. That involves getting actually in the attic cavity and/or
lifting tiles.
Your internal walls are single brick and unless you want to use some
form of ducting, or attach the cable directly to the wall, chasing the
walls(cutting a trench) is the only thing coming on my mind.
                            MP