[plug] wiring a house

J Michael Gilks mike.gilks at westnet.com.au
Fri Mar 3 17:10:12 WST 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 20:45, Ari Finander wrote:

> The second thing is why I'm asking here. Wireless transfers from our FC3
> file and backup server are very slow to my wife's office. For this reason,
> and because I'd like to make a MythTV (or failing that a windows)
> entertainment box for radio/digital tv/mp3s/etc in the lounge room, I want
> to wire up the house. One ethernet jack in each of the three bedrooms, two
> plus a phone in the lounge room, and one ethernet in the kitchen. A coax in
> the main bedroom would be nice, too. Somehow given my reliance on crutches
> and motorised movement aids, as well as having a not so functional immune
> system, I don't see myself coming off very well trying to do this myself up
> in the attic. My wife, however, is keen to give it a go. So I have two
> questions: 1) who would you recommend to do this work and about how much
> would I be looking at spending? and 2) if I go with my wife's DIY spirit
> and try and do this ourselves, are there any good guides to doing this in
> the double brick and tile sorts of homes built in Perth in the late 70's?

On a vaguely related note, what type of cable would people recommend for
gigabit ethernet.
Looking on the net seems to show Cat5E is OK if all 8 wires are connected, but
I would like opinions on whether this is OK or should I go for Cat6.
Also any idea of the cost difference.

Thanks in advance.

Love
Mike.