[plug] wiring a house

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Fri Mar 3 18:09:06 WST 2006

On 3/3/2006, "Timothy White" <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:

>> By the way... are we a little OT for the main list at the moment?
>
>I don't think so. Ether way, I've been enjoying this thread quite a
>bit, and learning at the same time.

Fair enough.

The way I see it (and I know we've discussed all this before) is that:

PLUG LIST=Linux stuff
OFF-TOPIC=Not specifically Linux, General computing and/or life issues.

Since the topic of cabling is not Linux specific, it is arguably
off-topic.  A 100% Windows network uses CAT5 too!

If most Linux people would find it interesting, that is because most of
us would find the off-topic list worthwhile in general.

Anyway, whenever I reply to an off-topic topic on the main list, I do try
to point it out.  Just trying to make it happen... one post at a time. ;)

>Any licenesed wiring ppl on the list, feel like putting a central
>splitter in for me? It's a DSL004a, and I already have it, plus a
>cable to run for the modem. I'm in riverton. (Now that last bit is OT
>;-) )

So far Daniel Foote mentioned he was Austel approved.  I'd very much
like to be.  How do you go about it?  Electrician's licence would be
handy too come to think of it.

I intend to buy a new house in the next year or two and even though I
generally opt to get in the professionals, some tweaking here and there
or minor modifications later on might be DIYable if I had the correct
cabling/electrical qualifications.  Not to mention other little jobs
like wiring plugs.

So who else on Plug has one of these licences?  Are there others worth
having?  How/where do you get one?  Are decent fakes available online?

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com