[plug] Firefox/Thunderbird problem with Mandriva 2006 stillunresolved

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Mar 9 09:38:03 WST 2006

-snip-

   >Thanks Gavin,
   >Yes both konqueror and kmail work fine, isp's and any other web
   >pages can be
   >loaded in Konqueror, and have successfully pinged the mail
   >server and web
   >addresses.
   >Don't know much about the firewall tho' - will disable that and report.
   >Not tonight tho'  !
   >
   >Dave D

As I said, I came late into this and was likely to offer only dumb ideas :-O

It's odd that it's only those two apps with probs and substitutes for them
see the web okay.  I guess I tend to blame firewalls as the first (and
easiest to kill) cause of possible problems with any sort of internal or
external network issue, so that is still worth trying - even though it now
looks entirely unlikely since ping works okay.  Otherwise the very good
suggestion of doing a packet trace with ethereal will tell what's happening
when you send a request for a page in Firefox or mail in thunderbird.  Good
luck.

Gavin