[plug] Oz Govt Linux Deal

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Thu Mar 9 09:49:11 WST 2006

On 3/9/2006, "Bennett, Phillip" <Phillip.Bennett at bestroads.com.au>
wrote:

>I'm not too sure...  But what I find disgusting is going through the
>morning and weekend papers and being able to pick up all the mistakes.
>I'm not sure WHAT they are teaching people these days, but I'm sure it's
>not english. :(

Agreed.  It's quite a worry!

>Bennett, Phillip wrote:
>
>> "... open source government contract in Australia of its kind, ..."
>
>So what does "Australia of its kind" mean?  How do people with that
>level of language skill become journalists - and plenty do?

I would have gone with, "In Australia, it's the first open source
government contract of it's kind." or similar since that is taken out
of context from your quote and not from the original article.

This stuff happens all the time though unfortunately.  I'm surprised
that a newspaper journalists software doesn't include a decent grammar
checker!

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX