[plug] TV Ripping

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Sun Mar 12 19:54:46 WST 2006

Timothy White wrote:
> Ok, your welcome to ask me to take this OT, or off the list if you want.
>
> Basically, I'm looking for an automated way, to get a V4L device to

Are you using analog or digital TV?
For digital you want the /dev/dvb/* interface, not v4l.
You can use 'dvbstream' for scripted recording.
I have some scripts you can borrow.

> start recording, at a set time (no gui, must be able to run via cli in
> the bg) and stop at a set time,

easy - use 'at'.

> and if at all possible, i want
> something that can also detect when the ads start and stop, and ether
> remove them, or just mark the timestamps, so that I can verify, then
> remove ads.

Its really easy to manually skip the ads when playing from HDD. Much
easier than with a VCR.

> Also, I am looking for HDTV Tuner card, any recommendations for one
> that works well under Linux?

  http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_cards

See notes on Linux support here: (he is good)
http://www.digitalnow.com.au/dvbtcards.html

cheers, Mike