[plug] Ubuntu 5.10 screen resolution prob [OT]

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 15 15:09:14 WST 2006

Hello All,

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:53:17 +0800
Tomasz Grzegurzko <tomasz_g at arach.net.au> wrote:

> Quoting Chris Griffin <griffinster at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi Shannon,
> > thanks for the quick reply.
> > I have been looking in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but have not been
> > able to identify what to change.
> > I changed the resolution from 1152x864 to 800x600 (which I would
> > think should not cause any issues) but I think it would be the
> > change of the refresh rate from 56 to 60 that had done the dirty
> > deed.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chris G
> >

> I think chris changed the res in his personal profile preferences. I
> can't recall where the file is stored (somewhere in your home
> directory) but you need to find that and change/zap it...

I believe that the system checks for a configuration file in the users
home directory. Might be there somewhere? Could be either as a .??????
file or just a normal file.

I know I had an issue like this at one stage when someone sent me a
xfree86 config file and I saved it, without thinking, into my home
directory. Next time I started X it all died with these warnings about
driver not being correct. Took me a while to realise and delete the
offending xconfig file.

Regards,

--

Adam Davin