[plug] Internet domains

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Fri Mar 17 20:32:38 WST 2006

Friday, 17 March 2006 20:16, Richard Meyer wrote:
> But looking at .net, .org. and .info, it looks like there's not that
> much distinction as to what is the "right" domain - any of those
> would be equally applicable for a personal domain.

.net is technically meant for network-related domains, and .org is
mainly for non-profit organisations. Since there isn't really a good
"individuals" TLD, they seem to be the most popular ones for this use.
I guess which one you use depends on whether you consider yourself more
of a charitable person or a network geek. :)

I'd stay away from .info, as it is used virtually exclusively by
spammers. Spamassassin tends to be quite suspicious of mails
containing .info URLs or originating from .info addresses.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/