[plug] Internet domains

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri Mar 17 20:36:06 WST 2006

- snip-

   >Thanks to Gavin, Nikhil and Paul - it's basically what I suspected
   >
   >But looking at .net, .org. and .info, it looks like there's not that
   >much distinction as to what is the "right" domain - any of those would
   >be equally applicable for a personal domain.
   >
   >Thanks, guys.
   >--
   >Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au>

At the risk of flogging a dead horse on this subject, I just want to clarify
what you say above.  The precedent set from the early days of the Internet
was that dot net was for technological/IT companies (eg, iinet), dot com for
regular businesses/corporations, and dot org for non-profits.  New ones like
dot info and dot biz are just new revenue streams to supplement those
traditional tlds.  But these days, it's open slather, really, and if you
find your name is already registrable in dot com (it happens!) then just try
another TLD.

That's my last word, promise (I'm a bit talkative after Fri afternoon
drinks)

Gavin.