[plug] disk error on boot up

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 19:50:48 WST 2006

On 3/23/06, Jon  Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au> wrote:
> When booting up a SLES9 OES server I'm seeing the following errors:
<snip>
> Can someone point me in the right direction.
> the missing disk and partition is intact from looking at the partition table.

In my experience, repeated messages like:

hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 8388600

mean that your drive (hdc) has died. I may be wrong, but it doesnt
look good to me. You might get these errors on specific areas of the
drives in some cases, meaning you can read the partition table but the
drive is still borked.

Possibly your IDE (if thats what you're using) bus may have died
instead, but my money's on the drive. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

If you need the data off it, apparently sticking it in a sealed
plastic bag then chucking them both in the freezer overnight will get
you about 30 minutes of extra runtime, enough to get some data off.
I've only heard it third-hand, though, so it may not work at all, and
watch out for condensation on the drive when you fire it up :)

-Patrick
--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au