[plug] disk error on boot up

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 22 21:16:35 WST 2006

"Patrick Coleman" <blinken at gmail.com> writes:

>On 3/23/06, Jon  Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au> wrote:
>> When booting up a SLES9 OES server I'm seeing the following errors:
><snip>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction.  the missing disk
>> and partition is intact from looking at the partition table.

>In my experience, repeated messages like:

>hdc: command error: status=3D0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>hdc: command error: error=3D0x54
>end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 8388600

>mean that your drive (hdc) has died. I may be wrong, but it doesnt
>look good to me. You might get these errors on specific areas of the
>drives in some cases, meaning you can read the partition table but the
>drive is still borked.

>Possibly your IDE (if thats what you're using) bus may have died
>instead, but my money's on the drive. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Maybe BIOS setting for LBA, etc got scrambled. That'll stop a boot.

Possibly cable/interface.  Plug it in as a slave on another system
and check.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.