[plug] Thunderbird/Firefox(cont)

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Fri Mar 24 20:59:09 WST 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:59 am, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:09:37PM +0800, David Dartnall wrote:
> > It's me again Russell,
> > Sorry for the time lapse - here are the files you suggested.
>
> Well, this is strange.  Ping and firefox are generating identical DNS
> queries (except for the query ID, which is to be expected) and
> receiving queries that are identical except for the IP address they
> requested.
>
> Google turned up this: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14757298
> Could you try the two suggestions in the first message on that page?
> First disable ipv6 in firefox and see if that fixes the problem.

Thank you, Russell and Eric for your suggestions...
This what happened:
Editing /etc/sysconfig/network to read NETWORKING_IPV6=no followed by 'service
network restart' had no effect but under mozilla using 'about:config' and
setting 'network.dns.disableIPv6' to true and removing kat resulted in much
better bootup with no violent disk action at the end.
The only delay during bootup was (and still is) trying to bring eth1 up.
Firefox was ok accessed all the sites I tried.
Thunderbird opened and started trying to access the mail server and then
winked out.
Tried Firefox again then and it froze while attempting to connect to
cyberknights. Worked ok though after next reboot with file system integrity
check.
Thunderbird behaved a bit better this time, queried the server certificate,
asked for the password downloaded 5 emails and then winked out.
Thereafter timed out, and firefox froze...
Two more reboots:
Thunderbird ok, downloaded more mail and then winked out again while
attempting to send a test email.
So I pulled the side panel off the computer, pulled the heat sink & fan off
the cpu, cleaned the dust out of it and the fans (not much dust and all fans
were spinning) and wriggled all cards and memory and reinstalled.
So this had better not wink out when I try and send it!

And we'll see what happens!

Meantime what's the score with kat?
And what have we done by disablinng IP (should it be a lower case V?) v6?

regards and thanks again.
Dave Dartnall