[plug] Thunderbird/Firefox(cont)

Eric S ews.mail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 21:48:50 WST 2006

David Dartnall wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:59 am, Russell Steicke wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:09:37PM +0800, David Dartnall wrote:
>> > It's me again Russell,
>> > Sorry for the time lapse - here are the files you suggested.
>>
>> Well, this is strange.  Ping and firefox are generating identical DNS
>> queries (except for the query ID, which is to be expected) and
>> receiving queries that are identical except for the IP address they
>> requested.
>>
>> Google turned up this: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14757298
>> Could you try the two suggestions in the first message on that page?
>> First disable ipv6 in firefox and see if that fixes the problem.
>
> Thank you, Russell and Eric for your suggestions...
> This what happened:
> Editing /etc/sysconfig/network to read NETWORKING_IPV6=no followed by
> 'service network restart' had no effect but under mozilla using
> 'about:config' and setting 'network.dns.disableIPv6' to true and removing
> kat resulted in much better bootup with no violent disk action at the end.
> The only delay during bootup was (and still is) trying to bring eth1 up.
> Firefox was ok accessed all the sites I tried.
> Thunderbird opened and started trying to access the mail server and then
> winked out.
> Tried Firefox again then and it froze while attempting to connect to
> cyberknights. Worked ok though after next reboot with file system
> integrity check.
> Thunderbird behaved a bit better this time, queried the server
> certificate, asked for the password downloaded 5 emails and then winked
> out. Thereafter timed out, and firefox froze...
> Two more reboots:
> Thunderbird ok, downloaded more mail and then winked out again while
> attempting to send a test email.
> So I pulled the side panel off the computer, pulled the heat sink & fan
> off the cpu, cleaned the dust out of it and the fans (not much dust and
> all fans were spinning) and wriggled all cards and memory and reinstalled.
> So this had better not wink out when I try and send it!
>
> And we'll see what happens!
>
> Meantime what's the score with kat?
> And what have we done by disablinng IP (should it be a lower case V?) v6?

firstly make sure you have a carriage return after the last line
of /etc/sysconfig/network

kat short version: a KDE indexing system (supposedly fixed in the updates)
ie its a resource hog and not very useful
see here for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kat_Desktop_Search_Environment

IPV6 yes in that file it should be uppercase

you havent disabled IP you have disabled IPV6
in short its a future Internet protocol
see here for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

For anybody else on the list interested in mandriva 2006
it has 3 serious issues on the original cds

1. xorg is very broken you should configure urpmi
and update as soon as you install.

2. kat is broken you should update/remove it
I remove it

3. IPV6 has been a problem on all the installs I've done
I recommend disabling it.

cheers

--
Eric S