[plug] Mandriver installation

John Foster johnfoster at aapt.net.au
Tue Mar 28 16:35:53 WST 2006

I had some difficulty in installing Mandriver 2006. I could not install
Mandriver 2006 successfully.

This after using previous linux OS's over more than 5 years, all Mandrake
(save for one)
After numerous installation attempts during which I got most of it up and
running (but never all) I had Linux IT send me a new set of discs. These were
no better.

So I was obliged to change to SuSE 10. This OS system works perfectly.

For me Mandriver/Mandrake had some advantages and I saw enough of Mandriver
2006 to know that it seems to be a good system - if it would only work using
my system.

I concluded that there was some hardware in my system that this new OS did not
like. Because of the different problems that emerged, I also concluded that
the error lead to instability.

I found it easier to abandon Mandriver rather than try to sort out the
hardware incompatibility.

I will try Mandriver again next year, after I update my hardware, some of
which is about 5 years old. Normally it is the new hardware which becomes a
problem in linux where required drivers are not available. Not so on this
occasion for me.

For me Linux is much preferable to Microsoft products. Also the software is of
equal quality, if not better. So I will never revert to Windows other than as
a backup OS on a separate partition.

Hope this helps.

--

John Foster