[plug] Create DVD

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Thu Mar 30 12:54:31 WST 2006

Benjamin Woods wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am trying to make a DVD from footage I have recorded on my video camera.
> I have footage from this year off the camera and saved on the hard drive
> stored as a .avi file using DV-Video format.
>
> i also have footage from last year in dvd format.
>
> i want to combine scenes from each into a new dvd.

If you just want to join a buch of clips, then Linux may be OK.
'mencoder' will concatentate the clips, and convert it to DVD-compatible
  mpeg. Then you need 'dvdauthor' to put it on disk. I've created a few
simple menu-less DVDs, but some players don't like them.

> alternatively, if people just tell me how to convert a .mp4 file to
> either .wmv or a .avi in DV-Video, I can use ugly ugly windows movie
> maker to do it.

How about mpeg2 or mpeg4 (video codec) in AVI or mpeg (file format)?

> the thing i like about movie maker is that it automatically splits your
> movies into separate scenes (it must detect the sudden change in the
> picture and realise u turned off the camera at that point).

That might not work if the file comes from a linux converter program,
rather than the camera.