[plug] Dell 9400

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue May 2 09:07:09 WST 2006

---- Original Message ----
From: simon at chrome64.org
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Dell 9400
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 00:48:54 +0000

>Richard Meyer (meyerri at westnet.com.au) wrote:
>>
>> Who was the laddie who ordered the Dell Inspiron 9400 a few weeks
>ago?
>>
>> If you've got it, can we get a dose of feedback, please?
>>

>Quite simply, the screen is awesome :) 1920x1200 goodness.
>
>I havent had much time to spend on it. So far Ive put Mandriva 2006
>on it plus
>the binary ATI drivers to get the x1400 running. Seems to work well.
>
>The wireless requires a kernel update so I can compile the driver for
>it, and
>the SMcard reader needs a kernel patch as well, but Im reading it
>might cause
>suspend problems. I guess Ill see.
>
>Ill see how I go getting the wireless going first. Perhaps Ill try
>kubuntu.

Yep, I'll give that a go, just as an experiment, myself.

>Oh, 1 other 'bad' thing - the video card is meant to be an x1400 with
>256M
>hypermemory (whatever that is), but the bios says its a 128M card.
>Ill be
>ringing them about that today.

Let us know how you make out, since I believe Dell support is really
bad - I've been reading Greg Lehey, and he isn't impressed. The
Aussie side is fine, but you have to talk to people in Malaysia, or
India, and they don't understand the problem, so the Aussie
technician arrives to fix the problem, and doesn't have half the
parts you need, because the problem is wrongly reported.

>Touchpad works well, USB works well, sound works well (altho Im not
>sure the
>'subwoofer' is activated). 3D performance using the x1400 seems ok, I
>think
>around 1400+ fps on glxgears. Not sure how that measures up, but Im
>sure itll
>be fast enough for my limited gaming. Tuxracer is fast and smooth :)

Not great speed, but better than the +- 900 FPS I get on my Nvidia
440 card.

>Processor works well with SMP kernel. klaptop allows me to set CPU
>throttling
>based on powered/not powered status.

Sounds great.

>I havent gotten suspend or hibernate working yet, but then I havent
>tried.
>
>Basically it seems everything works except wireless and SMcard
>reader, which
>are supported with patches.
>
>The best bit is the cherrywood cover ;) Takes me back to late 80s
>arcades...... :D

I'm looking at the Black Carbon or the Med Blue.

>You thinking of getting one?

I'm looking at the 6400 - or maybe an IBM T60 - they seem lots
cheaper than the T43, which I liked.

>ps. Just remembered one other 'bad' thing. Plugging headphones in
>doesnt mute
>the internal speakers (!).

Just something to watch for - I did see a fix for it the other day,
but I forget what it was ....

Thanks for the feedback, Simon

Cheers
RM