[plug] Dell 9400

simon simon at chrome64.org
Tue May 2 08:48:54 WST 2006

Richard Meyer (meyerri at westnet.com.au) wrote:

> Who was the laddie who ordered the Dell Inspiron 9400 a few weeks ago?
>
> If you've got it, can we get a dose of feedback, please?

Quite simply, the screen is awesome :) 1920x1200 goodness.

I havent had much time to spend on it. So far Ive put Mandriva 2006 on it plus
the binary ATI drivers to get the x1400 running. Seems to work well.

The wireless requires a kernel update so I can compile the driver for it, and
the SMcard reader needs a kernel patch as well, but Im reading it might cause
suspend problems. I guess Ill see.

Ill see how I go getting the wireless going first. Perhaps Ill try kubuntu.

Oh, 1 other 'bad' thing - the video card is meant to be an x1400 with 256M
hypermemory (whatever that is), but the bios says its a 128M card. Ill be
ringing them about that today.

Touchpad works well, USB works well, sound works well (altho Im not sure the
'subwoofer' is activated). 3D performance using the x1400 seems ok, I think
around 1400+ fps on glxgears. Not sure how that measures up, but Im sure itll
be fast enough for my limited gaming. Tuxracer is fast and smooth :)

Processor works well with SMP kernel. klaptop allows me to set CPU throttling
based on powered/not powered status.

I havent gotten suspend or hibernate working yet, but then I havent tried.

Basically it seems everything works except wireless and SMcard reader, which
are supported with patches.

The best bit is the cherrywood cover ;) Takes me back to late 80s
arcades...... :D

You thinking of getting one?

ps. Just remembered one other 'bad' thing. Plugging headphones in doesnt mute
the internal speakers (!).

--
Simon Scott
simon at chrome64.org